Thursday, September 8, 2016

Limited Edition "Boo-tterscotch M&M's!

Well, it's summer, so obviously it's time for Halloween themed candy to drop. Just like in March, when there's still snow on the ground, it's the perfect time for Sam's Summer to grace the beer aisles.  Just like when Egg Nog hits your local grocer just in time for the holidays...later this month.  Yep, nothing is sacred anymore. Instead of being happy that we have seasons and holidays to look forward to, people just want to enjoy the parts of these times longer and earlier than ever. At this rate, in about ten years, people won't take down their Christmas trees at all anymore. They will just leave them up and the holiday season will no longer mean anything. But let's face it, there's no use getting upset about what other people do, right? I just stand my ground and never sip a Pumpkin beer until October first. Never let a Pumpkin Spice English Muffin cross my lips until I'm in the same month as Halloween. 

But when it comes to candy I have to review here, I guess I can make an exception! Our first Halloween candy review this year comes from M&M'S! You can bet your ass if there's a holiday coming that M&M's have some wild flavor to debut (Remember Candy Corn M&M's?) and they didn't disappoint this year! Let's take a look at White BOO-tterscotch M&M's! 


First off, I love the package. Huge Red M&M terrified of the BOO-tterscotch candies in front of him, while ghosts and bats fly around him. You'd be scared too!


You'll notice that they are colored in a strange manner. There's brown, a dark-ish yellow, which the painter in me wants to guess would actually be Yellow Ocre, and then there's...well...one that's kind of flesh colored. Which, is a little gross.

"I swear these aren't people flavored M&M'S!"

I do have to say, once you tear open the bag the room does fill up with a butterscotch smell. At first it's just an unknown sweet smell, but once you eat one of these your brain realizes what it is. I never would have suggested a butterscotch M&M in a million years, but they definitely nail the flavor here! They pretty much taste like the M&M version of butterscotch pudding. I think it's the white chocolate base they use, and in this case it directly made me think of that pudding flavor and texture once you crush up the candy coating. The weirdest part of this, is that I probably haven't had butterscotch pudding since I was a kid eating one of those little plastic cups out of my bag lunch. But the second you taste these it rushes back. It's like a fat kids version of a Vietnam flash back.

This gif was too perfect to pass up. 

So we can definitely confirm that they nail the flavor they were looking for. However, that doesn't necessarily mean they are great. I found that I liked these more than I expected, BUT unlike other flavors, I could only eat a small amount of these before I had to fold the bag over for later. The butterscotch flavor is pretty strong and I found them to get very rich after a certain amount. Unlike, say, Peanut Butter M&M's. I'm pretty sure I could just eat those until I died. Right up until the final second I would be pushing another one through my pursed lips. BOO-tterscotch? Not so much.


If you're a fan of Butterscotch, don't miss these. You'd absolutely love them. If you're like me, and have butterscotch so infrequently that you have pudding flashbacks to your childhood...you'll probably think these are just okay. But either way, you gotta applaud them for once again trying something new!



In the end I give BOO-tterscotch M&M's a solid C+. If I was a big butterscotch fan I'm sure it would be higher, but since there aren't even that many butterscotch flavored items out there on the shelves, I'm guessing the fan base might be small. That being said, these could be a hit at your Halloween party, so perhaps scoop up a bag and let them haunt your cupboard until it's time to don your costume and start partying.

Or hell, eat them right now and wash them down with some Egg Nog while basking in the glow of your Christmas lights. Screw tradition!

Review by Rich Brunelle, who once again resides on the East Coast, but for how long? Nobody knows!

Yo! Wanna get at your favorite Food Blog Fat Guys? Want us to review your stuff? Have some ideas for reviews? Want to be the one to tell us about the newest kind of Oreos/chips/ice cream/Fast food thingy? Want to send us pictures of your dog?

Well, here's how you can reach us:
TWITTER
FACEBOOK
INSTAGRAM
EMAIL

No comments:

Post a Comment